Winter Running Essentials

Now that the arctic cold has finally hit us here in the states, some of us runners are left in the confusion. Do you attempt to run outside, run on the treadmill (which I know that no one is a fan of), or does your running slow down, nearly to a halt during the cold weather months? I am one of those people who braves the negative temperatures and takes the plunge headfirst into winter. I must be nuts! Surely everyone thinks that. When I do run outside, I make sure to wear the correct layers. Here are some of what I would consider essentials.
Tops:
  • A comfy sports bra. Ladies, its cold outside, and I don't know if this is the same for most women, but my chest tends to ache a little more when it gets colder. A good, supportive, and comfortable sports bra is key, especially when the temperature drops. I am going to sound like a sales man right now, but the thing besides shoes that needs more updating than you are currently doing is your sports bra. Put it this way, you should get a new bra as you get new running shoes. And make sure to try it on in stores, do some jumping jacks or run in place, and make sure every thing feels correct and you feel comfortable. The second worse thing in running, (I say second because having your feet hurt is the worst), is not being comfortable up top. And to the men out there who are rolling their eyes, thinking that it cannot be that bad, it is. So back to the sports bra. My favorite brand is Moving Comfort. My reasoning is because they make bras for the teeny-tiny ladies all the way up to the ladies who need a lot of support for their larger chests. For smaller women, meaning size 30A to 38B/36C, the sports bra that I absolutely love is the Switch It Up Racer. It has a similar fit to the Nike Pro sports bra that we all see at every sports shop, however, it is reversible, and I personally think it fits better. One thing I will mention about the Switch It Up Racer is that the band does fit a little snug the first couple times you wear it, but it does relax and have a more comfortable fit.
    Switch it Up Racer 36$
    For the women who like a little more support, the Fiona is the bra for you. This bra runs from a 30B to a 44DD. The key aspect about this bra is that it has clasps in the back, adjustable straps, and a anti-chafe band across the bottom. At my workplace, a running specialty store, this is our top selling bra because women love it. Now I am not saying that everyone loves it, just a lot of people do.
    The Fiona 46$
    For the women who want the tank, the bra that will hold your ladies in, have a lot of support, and feel comfortable, the Maia is the one for you. This bra has the clasps in the back, adjustable straps, and the anti-chafe band like the Fiona, however, this bra also has an underwire to provide the most amount of support it can. This bra runs from size 32C to a 40E. 
    The Maia
  • Base/Thermal layer. The base layer is one of the things I consider crucial for winter running. You want something that will keep your heat next to your body, while wicking out the moisture. Now some people will spend a ton of money on say, Under Armour or Nike Dri-fit thermal layers, but really, if it has some element of moisture wicking and also has an element of heat, it'll work. My favorite is C9 by Champion Women's Long Sleeve Crew Neck Compression Top. It fits kind of like a glove, but the inside has a soft feel to it, and it helps wick out the moisture. Also, it comes in plenty of different colors and patterns to satisfy anyone's needs. The price is not too bad either, at 16$ at Target, this is a steal. 
  • A half-zip top. You might think, "A half-zip? really? How is this essential to winter running?" Well it is. Running in the winter, especially in the Midwest, the temperature can fluctuate, especially if its windy. You might start a run when the temperature is 35* and sunny, but as the run goes on, the wind may pick up or clouds may start to appear, and the temperature fluctuates. A half-zip can provide some relief from the cold or may allow some of your body heat to cool some when you start to get too warm. My favorite is the Nike Element Half Zip. The reason I like this half-zip the most is because of the reliability of Nike's clothing. Yes, they are a little more than Target's running clothes, however they last a little longer and have a better feeling overall on the body. The Element Half-Zip has a flattering fit and has a soft feel about it. It also has a versatility to it because since it is not a super heavy pullover, you can wear this in the spring and fall as well. Like I said, the price is a little high compared to other brands, but this top is definitely worth it. 
  • A wind breaker jacket. A wind breaker is extremely nice to have, especially on the days where it is a little on the warmer side but windy. Days where it is too warm to wear a heavy coat, but you still need something to keep the heat inside. This year, my favorite is Saucony's Sonic Reflex Jacket. This is a super lightweight jacket that has reflectivity added to it. The reflective aspect is extremely nice due to how quick it gets dark in the winter. The whole jacket becomes illuminated when light is shown on it. It does allow your body to breathe some with ventilation added to the jacket, but the main point is that it keeps the wind off your body.
    Jacket Reflected
    Saucony Sonic Reflex Jacket $110.

  • A heavier Jacket. A heavier running jacket is great to have. Actually, if you live in an area where the average winter temperature dips below 20 degrees, its essential. You want a jacket that will allow you to stay warm and allow your body to breathe. The one that I have and absolutely love is the New Balance Windblocker Jacket. I could not seem to find this product on New Balance's website, however, it is on amazon. My favorite features about this jacket is the feel. It hugs the body keeping you nice and warm but is not too tight. Another feature that is wonderful is the snot rag on the hand. On the upper part of the hand portion on this jacket, there is a chafe-resistant fabric that is there to help you wipe away the snot that comes out of your nose. To those people who have experienced this problem, you know how it can be if you rub your nose with the wrong fabric and for the next couple days, your nose is red and chafed. And to those people who think I am disgusting and that you have never experienced this, I wish I was like you, and you should just accept the fact that it happens. 
    New Balance Windblocker Jacket $130
Bottoms:
  • Tights. You are going to want some sort of running tights. Now there are 2 different kinds of running tights. There will be the thinner, more of a base layer style of tights that will keep your body heat near your legs, but wont be too warm, and the thermal style which will have an element that holds your body heat in while providing extra warmth. For the thinner tights, I like a couple of styles. I have a few pairs of C9 by Champion tights and I also have one of Victoria Secret's Ultimate Tights. As you can probably guess, the prices with these range depending on the brand of tight you buy. Some people will tell you what kind of brand is better than others, but my opinion is they all are going to do the same thing, keep your legs comfortable while running. They all may feel different, but trying out styles can help you decide what you like best. 
    VS Ultimate Tight $65
    C9 by Champion Frost Print Legging $15
    As for the thermal tights, these are great for when it gets pretty cold, but is not too windy. My favorite pair is Saucony's Siberius Tight. These tights have a Siberius lining, which is Saucony's way of saying fleece, and they are super warm. A neat feature they also have is that their Siberius logo turns from white to blue when temperatures dip below freezing. 
    Saucony Siberius Tight $75
  • Wind pant. Yes, wind pant could mean the swishy style of pants that many people wear, but my preference is something that doesn't alert people that you are coming up behind them. I really love the Saucony Nomad Pant. These pants fit loosely enough that you can fit a pair of leggings underneath, which is good because they dont insulate the heat as well as tights. I love a pair of wind pants when the temps are cold and windy to wear over a pair of leggings because the leggings keep me warm while the wind pant keeps the wind off me. A few nice things about the Nomad Pant: They do not swish, and they put the wind proof panels on the entire front of the leg and the back calf. "Why only on the back calf?" Well the panel on the back calf helps when there is slush all over the road or trail. This area is where you are more than likely to kick up dirt and slush, protecting your back of your leg from the wetness the slush can bring. 
    Saucony Nomad Pant
Accessories:
  • Socks (more particularly, Wool Socks). A pair of warm or wool socks can be a lifesaver when the temps dip low. You want to look for moisture wicking and wool or Merino styles of socks. A couple brands I would recommend are Smartwool, Swiftwick Pursuit, or Feetures Elite Merino+. Each of these have different features to them and different feels, so my best recommendation is to buy a couple and run in them to get a feel of what you like and what you do not. My favorite are the Feetures Elite Merino+ socks. But you may like something different. 
    Feetures Elite Merino+ Light cushion quarter $16
  • Hat or earwarmer. Every person has a different preference over hat or earwarmer. I prefer different pieces for different temperatures. Colder, I like a full hat, and for warmer, I like just my ears to be covered. Every brand is going to make different things, but honestly you can get by with a generic hat or a generic earwarmer. 
    Since you can pretty much wear any style of hat, I just put the hat I wear. BEAR DOWN!
  • Neck warmer/cowl/scarf/balaclava . One question I have asked and others have asked me is, "Why do I have such a bad cough after I run in the winter?" The answer is simple. The air is much drier in the winter and you are not taking in enough moisture. A scarf or neck cowl will do the trick. Now this is optional. Not everyone chooses to wear one, however if you run into the weazing, smokers cough after runs, I would recommend trying it. I use one that I got for snowmobiling, but you can find them most places that carry winter running clothes. 
    A standard balaclava will give you protection from the cold.
  • Gloves. You are definitely going to want some sort of gloves on your hands. Most people go with a lighter weight style that helps protect with wind. These again are going to be something that varies person to person. One person may recommend one style where another will tell you a different pair is the way to go. What I am going to tell you is to go to a store and try them on. See how they feel on your hand. Some brands will have different features, are they what you want? The pair of gloves that I use and love are Mizuno Breath Thermal Light Gloves. They are lightweight, wind resistant, and they also heat up as I sweat. They keep me just warm enough. But the choice is up to you. Try on a few different pairs, look at their features, and go from there. Some people even will choose to use the dollar gloves you can find everywhere. Whatever works for you. 
    Mizuno Breath Thermal Light Glove $25
Optional:
  • Lights. If you are going to run at night, you are going to want some sort of light. Whether this be a headlamp, or a clip on light, your main goal is to be seen. A headlamp from a hardware store will do the job, or you can go with running specific gear. I love Nathan's selection of lights and reflective gear. What I bought this year is a Nathan Strobelight. This cost me $10 and clips on wherever I need it. It holds a constant light and also strobes at the click of a button. It does not matter how much you spend on a light, us runners just need to remember that the more you are seen, the safer you are.
     
    Nathan's Strobelight $10
  • Reflective Gear. A vest, a band, a sticker. Whatever you can add to your running gear to make you more visible in the dark makes your run safer, and could possibly save your life. Again, Nathan is a great route to go, as they offer a variety of products to keep you visible. Every person will tell you something different about what they use, but like I said, the more visible you are, the safer you are. 
Well that sums up my winter running essential talk, if you have any questions, feel free to comment with them, or if you have your own recommendations about products, please share! Otherwise, happy running!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Iowa November Race Calendar

Iowa December Race Calendar

September Iowa Race Calendar