Life of a Runner: Caitlin Handcock

Here is the portion of my blog where I feature different runners and their thoughts on a few different ideas. I hope that all of you enjoy reading and learning about different runners as much as I do. If you would like to be featured as a runner, send me an email! I would be more than happy to feature any runner who contacts me!

Life of a Runner: Caitlin Handcock, 27
Coe College cross country and track coach



How long have you been running for?
I started as a soccer player. They always put me at midfield because I could "run forever" and was often the fastest girl to the ball. In middle school I did track to stay in shape for soccer but I quickly found that I was far better at track than I ever was at soccer. It didn't take long for me to drop soccer and focus on indoor and outdoor track. As a runner my background is a little different. The farthest I often ran was the timed mile in gym class. I like the short distances and I liked the jumps and hurdles even better. Although in High school I was often told I missed my calling in the 800 I had long legs was tall for my age and very thin. I had a quick turn over even with long strides and I think if I had put in the work I would have been a decent mid distance runner. But I liked high jump too much. I Jumped all through out college went to conference championships and regional championships in the high jump and 400 meter hurdles, sometimes running in the 4x400 as well. It wasn't until I ran out of NCAA eligibility for track and field that I turned to distance running. Being in Oklahoma for my master's degree meant little to no days of snow ice wind and rain like my hometown state of Maine. Land was flat air wasn't humid and the temperature was perfect for me. I found myself running over 4 or 5 miles every day and 12-13 on the long runs weekly. For The girl who struggled to finish the mile in high school I quite enjoyed the new challenge of how far could you go not how fast.

What shoes are you using right now?
ASICS!!!! have and always will. My very first pair of spikes were nike zooms (ancient I know) but then every pair of sneakers and spikes from there have been asics. I think they just give a lot of support and fit really well. And they don't break the bank when you need new ones every year.

What would you say is your most favorite race you have ever done?
There was a St. Patricks day race in Oklahoma City around a lake and it had been the second time I raced on that certified course so I knew a little better how to run it. I knew that the finish line was hidden out of site around a bend in the road but once you turned the corner the finish was less than 200 meters away. So going into the last bend of the race I started to kick hard very early and was blowing by people left and right. The fans watching were cheering for me and I finished in like a 45 second PR on the course because I knew better than to wait to see the finish line to kick. Another runner at the end said he thought I was crazy or cheating just come off the sideline to finish the race then he said once he turned the corner and realized how little he had left he wished he had gone with me. I loved that race because I felt confident enough to go past people I knew could out kick me if they knew how close we were but I also knew most of them didn't realize where that finish line was.

What is the most interesting thing that has ever happened to you on a run?
In Oklahoma I ran so that the baseball field would be towards the end of my goal mileage that day. I only lived about half a mile from the baseball field so I took a long way up through campus and down to the field. I stopped and watched some of the game with my friends. Quite suddenly the weather changed and the Tornado Sirens went off in the next town over. The PA Announcer told everyone to seek shelter to head home or get into the baseball field storm shelter. My friends asked if I wanted a ride I said no its just half a mile. They left and I ran the fastest 800 meters of my life...should have timed it!



What is your favorite post-run food?
I don't really eat anything after a run, usually I'm good with water for a bit.

What is your favorite season to run in and why?
Summer!!! I was born and raised in Maine and so we don't get a lot of hot weather so in order to run in like 70's or 80's like I like it has to be july and august. I hate running in the cold.

Finish this sentence: I run because _______.
I run because its a short break from reality. You can't push yourself in your run and still think about school loans, paying bills, work, homesickness, and drama in your life, you can only just run!

What is your biggest running pet-peeve?
Recently its stopping for traffic. Where I'm from in maine it's a small town. If I run on the streets around coe there's a lot of stoppage time for cars and crossing streets.

What is your favorite quote about running?
"No ones going to do it but you, so if you have a dream and it's worth it to you... you can choose to go to that level." Owen Cook, Motivational Speaker

As a coach, what is the best thing that your athletes can do for both themselves and their team?
Perfect the little things (form, drills etc) and believe in yourself and your teammates!!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Iowa November Race Calendar

Iowa December Race Calendar

September Iowa Race Calendar