Life of a Runner: Nate Hopp

Here is the portion of my blog where I feature different runners and their thoughts on a few different ideas. I hope that all of you enjoy reading and learning about different runners as much as I do. If you would like to be featured as a runner, send me an email! I would be more than happy to feature any runner who contacts me!

Life of a Runner: Nate Hopp, 32
High school cross country and track coach, elite runner, and Running Wild employee

Nate celebrating his 100th race win
How long have you been running for?
I began running seriously when I started track in 7th grade (18 years ago). Prior to that I would do elementary track and field days and run around the neighborhood with the other kids in towns.When I joined track, I thought of myself as a 100m sprinter, wanting to be the next Carl Lewis. I found out I had the worst speed of everyone on the team. However, the next day the coach issued a challenge to us, saying that for practice we would run up to the gold course and back (roughly a 3 mile run). I was the first 7th grader back, won myself a candy bar, and a chance to run the 800m at the first track meet. Since then I have gotten better over time, learning a lot things, skills, etc along the way that I use as a coach to help others.

What shoes are you running in right now?
Shoewise, I have no favorites. I train in lots of brands and different models. Lately, I have been training a lot in Newton and Saucony shoes. Newtons have a great pop off of the forefoot and have really grown on me as a "go-to-shoe" lately. Saucony also has tons of models I love and I can't wait to begin training in the new Triumph ISO. I also have been really liking the current Nike Pegasus. I used to train a lot in Adidas shoes, but the last few years they have gotten rid of the models I really loved and not been able to replace them with a suitable shoe of theirs to my liking.

Are you currently training for anything at the moment?
Currently I'm preparing for the summer road racing season. I guess a goal race of mine might be Dam to Dam, but usually I don't have a specified race to train solely for. Rather, I train for a number of "priority" races and along the way add in some "training" races to better prepare myself for the races I want to do really well at.

What would you say is your favorite race that you have ever done?
I have a lot of favorite races. I will always love the Keota Fun Run as it was the first road race I ever won (as of March 10th I have won 105 races) and to me embodies the true nature of running and pure competition. It's low frills, not over hyped/fancy, and everyone is friendly and supportive to those running and partaking in the race. From a race atmosphere standpoint, it's hard to beat the Boston Marathon (did in 08 & 09 back when I had a life- j/k) or Chicago Marathon. Also, I really like the Amana Freezer 5k, being it is my hometown race and it's nice to race and win in front of the people you grew up around and with as a kid.

Finish this sentence: I run because ____.
I run because it helps me be a better person and keeps me from being a total douche bag (work/life can get stressful very easily for me)

Why did you first get started running?
Like previously stated, I began running as a kid but never anything organized until 7th grade.

What keeps you going?
I am motivated to keep going by all the people I come in contact with (friends, family, athletes, etc) and the thought I can always do better than what my best times are at the moment. I'm rarely am satisfied with any race I run, even when I run a personal best. There's always something I could have done differently that may have helped me run faster, placed higher, etc. Also, I guess I run to be inspirational as well. By working hard and being dedicated you can do whatever you put your mind to (when the mind is willing the body can do amazing things).

What is the most interesting thing that has ever happened to you on a run?
I'm sure I could name a few (both clean and non clean). Usually the one-liners I get from people while I'm out running always make me laugh because they are either funny or make the person saying them look unintelligent. Also, one time while running at 4 AM with a female running partner, I almost got ready to punch a drunk guy as he accidentally stumbled into her while trying to make his way home (left and right weren't working after 5-6 drinks).

What is your biggest running pet-peeve?
I don't have too many running pet peeves. One big one I have is others thinking they are better than others because they either are: A: faster; B: run farther; C:done "name of race/event". I've always kept the frame of mind that you always are going to have people faster and slower than you are and focus on yourself, not on others and trying to compare yourself to them. We are all runners, have similar aspirations of wanting to improve, conquer a certain distance/time, etc. One other pet peeve of mine is when people in a competitive race opening look back to see how far they are ahead of the people behind them. As a coach this drives me nuts. As a competitor, all it does is tell me I am going to beat you since you are that worried to be turning around to look at me and see how I am doing. 

As a coach, what is the best thing that your athletes can do for both themselves and their team?
From a coaching standpoint, there are many things an athlete can do to help themselves and their team. One major point I stress is putting in the work in the off season. The stopwatch doesn't lie when running head-to-head against someone. Every little run you do, every mile you put in, does add up over time. Another important thing is to be open towards trying new events. As a freshman in high school, I was convinced I was an 800m runner and fought my coaches tooth and nail to avoid the 3200m run. Eventually, I gave in and ran it at the end of the season and almost won the race doing it my first time. I still regret not trying it before the end of the season my freshman year. Also, don't write off a distance because of past failures or struggles. In college I always considered myself a longer distance person, but recently I have come to realize I do better at races from 3k-10k, although I used to feel those were my weakest race distances. Finally, my last pieces of advice is to work on focusing more mentally before, during, and after a race. I stress the mental side of running to all my athletes. Going into a race without a strategy is like going into class for a test without studying. You may get lucky on some questions, but likely you are going to do poorly. Same applies to racing. Have a plan, execute it to the best of your ability, analyze what you did and correct the mistakes for next time. You'll be surprised in what you are able to do through reflection.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Iowa November Race Calendar

Iowa December Race Calendar

September Iowa Race Calendar