What I Have Learned From Not Running

So as you guys know, I am not running right now and I won't be until I heal from my surgery (cross my fingers for June 21st date! (that'd be 6 weeks, supposedly the fastest healing time)). But its tough. I have learned a few things from not being able to run. Let me share them to you.


  • When you don't run, you gain weight. This sucks. Not running for over half a year, including the dreaded holidays of Thanksgiving and Christmas, makes you put on weight. Since I can't run, bike, elliptical, or even speed walk/walk for a long period of time, and if I swim, I sink to the bottom, doing any sort of cardio is tough and when I go to the gym, its hard to lift if I cant warm up or if I am stuck looking at the treadmills/bikes the whole time. 
  • Beautiful days are the worst. Knowing that everyone is out running or enjoying the weather, sucks. Waking up to see my phone saying 50-60 degrees and sunny and knowing that the trails are packed with people, is rough. I can put my running shoes on and walk outside for a while, but if I experience any pain, I have to stop.
  • Stress is horrible. This is probably one of my most stressful times of my life. I am graduating college in 3 weeks, I have come to understand that I will be in debt for a while, and I have to find a job. There is a lot balancing on my shoulders right now. Running used to be my stress relief. I even had our career services professional tell me that I should go for a run to help calm me down some. (I cried a bit when she did..oops...). It is so hard to relieve stress, I have tried yoga, but as I am flexible already, yoga doesn't feel like much to me. 
  • Hearing others talk about running is hard. This is similar to the "beautiful days are the worst" bullet. But, while I work at a running store, people come up to me and tell me about their running stories and woes. I wish I had running woes right now. I would kill for a story where I got chased by a bird or I got drenched on a run. I have them from a while ago, but I want more recent pieces. 
I dont mean to sound like I am complaining, I know it seems like I am. Its tough not running. It really is. I am sure there are others who have been through this as well. Let me know if you have similar experiences or what else you have learned. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Iowa November Race Calendar

Iowa December Race Calendar

September Iowa Race Calendar