So...I Went Streaking...

Im sure you've heard the story before. Either you have tried it yourself, you know someone who has been going for a while, or you've heard of the people who have gone for years. Im talking about run streaking, which is when you run at least a mile every single day.

Now, its not for everyone and can be very taxing on the body to repeatedly put everything through that much stress if you arent in the best shape. Trust me, I learned this first hand, but I will get to that shortly. But for those who can streak and have been streaking, I commend you. For those who are interested, I would say give it a try. Listen to your body though, it will tell you when you can continue and when you should stop. 

For me, I started off wonderfully on November 20th. I had been going to the gym with my mom every morning and started off by warming up on the treadmill, which I could hit at least a mile before finishing my workout. Other days, (mainly if I didnt want to wake up or move at 5 am), I would run at night when I got home from work, completing between 1-3 miles. 

Like I said, I started the streak fine. I started to notice some positives about this whole streaking concept, which made me want to continue. I could feel my body feeling better and stronger. I started noticing my body looking better (more definition throughout). I noticed I was falling back in love with a sport that I have had a love/mainly hate relationship with for the past 7 years.  Running was becoming easier, I was feeling better. That was until recently. 

Around day 10-12, I was feeling sore. Now I was expecting this. I haven't really run consecutive days since I ran cross country in college, where we would run 13 days on, 1 day off. The soreness wasnt going away though. The soreness was mainly in my soleus muscle, an area that I have dealt with on again, off again, problems throughout the past 5 years. I've never been able to fix the pain I get with this area of my leg, so if anyone knows any strengthening moves, please share. 

Back to my soreness, I was expecting to feel sore. However, my aches soon became pains. Walking up and down the stairs is horrible. I feel like someone keeps kicking my inner shin, and let me tell you, as easy as running was feeling, it wasnt feeling that great any more. I made it 20 days when I had to stop. 

I am disappointed with my body. I have this overall feeling of disappointment. As someone who has dealt with problems after problems, it was an amazing feeling to be able to run and run freely again without pain. I will say I havent had any numbness or tingling in my feet or legs, but having a pain return and sideline me is almost like a kick in the head. I swear sometimes the running gods are always out to get me.

I took the past couple days off, so I am hoping that the pain has subsided enough to let me try again. Maybe, just maybe, I just need to just increase my strength, lose some weight, and things will get better. We will see. If I can hit 20 days again, maybe I can go a day or two more, then take another break. Maybe I can slowly and steadily increase the streak. Im just hoping to get better and back into the swing of things. For now, we will see. I will keep you updated. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Iowa November Race Calendar

Iowa December Race Calendar

September Iowa Race Calendar