Life of a Runner: Brianna De Jong

Here is the portion of my blog where I feature different runners and their thoughts on a few different ideas. I hope that all of you enjoy reading and learning about different runners as much as I do. If you would like to be featured as a runner, send me an email! I would be more than happy to feature any runner who contacts me!
 
Life of a Runner: Brianna De Jong, 21
Coe College cross country and track runner.



How long have you been running for?
I did absolutely no type of exercise all throughout high school. Once I began college, I began to work out on my own so I wouldn't gain the Freshman 15. One of my close friends at the time, Emma Gitomer, had done Coe XC and she was also on the track team. She talked and talked and eventually persuaded me to go out for XC the next fall. I joined the XC team my sophomore year; this was the first sporting team I had ever been on! Training was rough for me, I was pretty out of shape and was brand new at the sport. My fall season was successful although I did run into a stress fracture at the end of the season. The summer going into my junior year I began to work into higher mileage and had an amazing cross season. Now I'm currently in the middle of the track season! 
 
 What are the shoes that you are training in?
I have had 3 successful pairs of the Brooks Ghost, I love them!
Are you currently training for anything at the moment?
This track season I am focusing on the 3k race and possibly a few 5k races.

What would you say is your favorite race that you have run in so far?
My favorite races are the cross country races. I enjoy the distance, but I particularly enjoy the courses because you aren't running in circles on a track. My favorite courses are the ones that go through wooded areas and prairies. When I race, I like to focus on the nature and landscape around me.

Do you have a goal for running, if so, what is it?
I'm still fairly new to running, I only started 2 years ago so I'm still learning and experiencing new things every day. I don't currently have particular goal in mind, I'm just focusing on becoming a better runner.

Long or short distance, and why?
Long distance! Often my days are so busy that I don't have much time to think or take a mental rest. When running long distance, I let my mind wander and I often lose track of time, which makes the run go even faster!

Finish this sentence: I run because _______.
I run because I want to prove to myself that I am capable of being an athlete. Until college, I didn't participate in any types of athletics; I couldn't shoot a basketball or hit a softball, I just wasn't good at anything. I knew how to run though. Part of the reason I fell in love with running is because it didn't require me to learn how to properly swing a bat, or spike a volleyball. All I had to do was run.
  
What is your favorite quote on running?
"Run, darling, run."

 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Iowa November Race Calendar

Iowa December Race Calendar

September Iowa Race Calendar