Turkey Trot 2015

Turkey Trot 2015

https://www.holyfamilydbq.org/wchs/turkey-trot

November 26th, 2015

Dubuque, IA

2.5 or 5 miles

Not of me, but here's the start line!

This was the third year I ran this race, and again it was one of the toughest races I think I have ever ran. The course, although short (I ran the 2.5 mile), is brutal. I think I mentioned it last year, but those of you who do not know the hills of Dubuque, Iowa, do not run this race without at least driving the course. The main hill of the race is a steep incline, Im not too sure of the degree, but it sucks. The course does have a lot of runners for being a local race in November, which do help pull you along the course.

I will say the biggest problem is that there is no sorting of runners and walkers at the start line. There also is a problem with walkers or people who begin walking during the race who do not move over to either side. I had a couple instances where a person would be running in front of me and just stop. There may have been instructions at the beginning about this, however, the PA system that they used was a single megaphone, and unless you were in the front, you cannot hear or even understand what the announcer is saying. They do have the opportunity to utilize the gymnasium, where they could do an announcement there, just an idea.

The shirts this year went back to the cotton style compared to the previous dri-fit, which I am not complaining about. as the dri-fit did not fit well, especially with the ladies. The cotton shirt is more comfortable and fits much better. The packet pick up was confusing, as there was no listing on the webpage for where we had to pick it up, the only place we found instructions for pick up was in the email that we had gotten a week or so before, which was also different from where it was supposed to be.

Another problem of this race is the parking. I think I mentioned it last year, but the parking has to be done on a side road, especially if you have to finish getting ready for a gathering. The time also messes with planning as well. The race is ran at 9 am, which is fairly late for many races, especially a holiday race. They have said that the reasoning for the late start is because of temperatures at the time of year, however, no one expects this race to be a sunny and 75 race. Moving it earlier would accommodate better for those who still have to cook and get ready for the following day. Personally, I do not like to do the 5 mile race because by the time I finish and get back home, the time is 10 am and with lunches starting around 11-12, that gives me no time to make any more food.

Overall, if you are in the Dubuque, Iowa area around Thanksgiving and are looking for a tough race to get you ready for the food that follows, go for it. This race is not one that I recommend to all, as it is very tough.

Check out my BibRave review here! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Iowa November Race Calendar

Iowa December Race Calendar

September Iowa Race Calendar