CRANDIC Half Marathon 2018

I want to start this off by saying this was the first time this race had ever been run. As many people know, first time races can have a lot of kinks and problems that the directors can learn from and make the future races that much better. Many of us tend to only look at these negatives and complain about the things we didn't like, I hate to admit, but I have done it as well. Something we need to keep in mind is to make our opinions, positive or negative, beneficial to the race directors so they can make the race even better for the following years. I shared my thoughts with one of the race directors that I know, and now I share them with you all! I am hoping my input gives people an idea of this great race and helps mold the race for future runners.



Back in April, I ran the CRANDIC Half Marathon that begun in North Liberty, IA. Its pronounced either "C-R-And-I-C" or "Crayon-dic." This race is one of the earlier spring halves in the area, which can make training hard, however, you're almost guaranteed beautiful weather. This year, we had about 50-60 degrees with a cooler wind. It made the starting line a little chilly, but as we crossed the finish line, it was gorgeous out.

One of the pictures of me finishing, I am on the left. 

As for the course, this area of Iowa has a lot of rolling hills. The first few miles were gentle, up and downs, however, as you crossed mile 8ish, there were a couple more dramatic uphills. At one point, (somewhere around mile 8), we started going downhill, which of course we knew we had to go back uphill, and as you started to go around a bend, you began to notice the mountain you were about to climb. Long and steep. As you continued into Iowa City, it was a gentle downhill overall, but as you got closer to mile 13, you could begin to see the uphill climb that you would soon have to make to finish the race. Hawkins Drive, the road that takes you to the stadium, is a mega hill. Luckily enough (in my opinion), there were police officers stopping runners to let traffic through at the bottom of the hill. This allowed me to collect my thoughts and catch my breath before making the hike to the finish.


My favorite things from the course were the aid stations and the cheer zones. As a runner, one of my pet peeves during a race is when there aren't enough aid/water stops. For the half marathon, we had somewhere around 10 or 11 water stops along the course. This meant I didn't feel like I had to carry a water bottle or that I was afraid of dehydration. There were a handful of them that had fruit/energy chews/candy, and when I say fruit, I'm not only meaning oranges, like most races that hand out fruit. A couple had banana chunks as well. Their assortment of GU offerings were nice as well, I think they had 5 or 6 flavors at the stop where they were offering some.

Now for the cheer zones. As most of this race was on a running path, not on a road, you would think that spectators would be few to none. The race directors made sure to make a spectator guide, listing specific, organized, cheer locations and good spots to cheer along with directions to each spot and where to park. The organized cheer zones were awesome as a runner, because all of a sudden, you would round a corner, and there were so many people pushing you to continue. It was so nice to see for a change.

As for somethings that I had more of an issue with, most of the issues have to do with the last .1 of the race and on. As you came up the final hill, it was if the course markings just disappeared, and as someone who has never been to Kinnick before, I was so lost and confused. I rounded the bend around the baseball field, and was so thankful that my husband and father were there to point me in the correct direction, as there were absolutely no signs for where runners were supposed to go. You could see the stadium, and I knew I had to run to it somehow, but there were spectators walking in herds through the course, people heading to the baseball game walking through the runners, and when you cant see the runner ahead of you, things can get confusing. I was so glad that one of the marathon pacers stopped to point people in the right direction so I finally figured out where I had to go.

Beyond the last part of the race, the finish line was also a mess. Runners crossed the finish line and walked into a mob of spectators. There was no "finish line area," like there are in most races, where runners can get their drinks, food, and medals then continue on to find their families outside of a fence. There were spectators just standing around trying to find their friends and family, and when you're sore and tired and just want some chocolate milk, trying to maneuver and trip over people who were just in the way, made refueling a struggle. It was also quite a bit overwhelming. I don't like to complain about this, but you know when you're cramping, tired, just sort of cranky, and want a nap after a long run, and all you're trying to do is get a damn banana and some water? That's all I wanted and trying to get around all the spectators who wouldn't even acknowledge you when you're saying "excuse me" and "Trying to get through" its a little frustrating. Just having a space where runners can get their food and drink, then leave to see family members, makes the whole process flow a lot better.

The finish line was buried somewhere in this mob of people. 
As you can see, you crossed the finish line straight into a crowd. 
 Overall, it was a tough course, but it was a good race. I am hoping that the race directors can make a few tweaks for next year and take the opinions of the runners from this year to improve the race for future runners. Like I said, there were a lot of great things that came from this race, and I know the things that didn't go so hot are fixable! First time races will have bumps in the road, but knowing the directors, I know they will take the input and make the race even better next year. Also, for people thinking about doing the race next year, I have heard rumors that they are flipping the marathon route (running from Iowa City to Cedar Rapids), meaning that the half will run North Liberty to Cedar Rapids. For those concerned about the hills, this new route will be more flat, with less dramatic hills.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Iowa November Race Calendar

Iowa December Race Calendar

September Iowa Race Calendar