Life of a Runner: Tanner McClenahan

Here is the portion of my blog where I feature different runners and their thoughts on a few different ideas. I hope that all of you enjoy reading and learning about different runners as much as I do. If you would like to be featured as a runner, send me an email! I would be more than happy to feature any runner who contacts me!

Life of a Runner: Tanner McClenahan, 22
Coe College cross country and track runner from Iowa


How long have you been running for?
I've been running since I was a little kid, I don't really remember when exactly. How seriously I've taken running in the past fluctuated but I've done some amount of running every year. I ran track from 7th-12th grade and then the last two years doing cross country and track at Coe has had me doing the most serious running I've ever done. It's definitely more apart of my lifestyle than it's ever been before. 

What shoes are you using?
I'm running in the Asics Kayano 20 and Saucony Kinvara 5. I run in Asics Hyper MD 5 for my track spikes.

Are you training for anything right now?
I'm currently in mid-distance training for outdoor track.

What would you say is the most interesting thing that has ever happened to you on a run?
Last year I was just a few blocks from Coe starting an early Monday morning run when a car ran a red light and smashed into another car just as I was getting to the intersection. I actually had to run back to the accident later because I left one of my gloves in the car of the woman who I had helped get her cell phone out to make a call.



What is your favorite season to run in?
I definitely like late summer to early fall. Anywhere from 50s-70s and lower humidity.

What is your favorite post-run food?
Eggs and gatorade.

Is there a specific race that you hope to eventually run in?
I'm not really searching for any unique or specific races now. If someone mentions one that sounds fun or interesting I might check it out.

Finish this sentence: I run because ________.
I like to compete and it's a great stress reliever.

Why did you first start running?
I don't really remember specifically why I first started running. I think I saw my dad running and decided I'd get up in the morning and start running too. He also organized the fun run we have every year in June for our town's fun days so that was another reason to run.

Long or short distance, and why? 
I'd probably say shorter. I enjoy mid-distance. It's tough because I found I really liked cross country after trying it but I also get a rush out of sprinting. I guess I've found over the years though that I probably fit best somewhere between the two probably closer to the shorter end.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Iowa November Race Calendar

Iowa December Race Calendar

September Iowa Race Calendar