Forerunner 235 (Running)

By guest writer, Brittini.

This watch is excellent for running. I've had it for about 2 weeks and have been using it to track my half marathon training. It has two different types of GPS, just a normal GPS and GPS+GLONASS. The GLONASS is just a GPS using a special type of satellite. I haven't used it yet because it takes more battery but it is supposed to be more accurate.

The GPS works excellent. I run with my brother who tracks via the Nike Running App. The distances are usually only about 0.05 miles different. That being said, I've mostly run on bike trails in my subdivision with no tree cover or anything. I ran once in a forest preserve on a rainy day and the normal GPS was not working accurately at all, at some points saying that I was running at a 17min/mile pace. It also said I only ran 3 miles when I know I ran at least 4. I plan on trying again using the GPS+GLONASS feature.

It is fairly easy to begin your run. You press the run button and press it again to start. The GPS connects within a couple seconds.

While running, the watch displays your current distance, time, and pace. At each mile, the watch will vibrate and show you the time it took to complete that individual mile. There is also the option while running to toggle the screens to view your current heart rate and training zone (i.e. how hard your body is working), and your lap distance, pace, and time. I don't like to mess with the watch when I run so I hardly use these functions. I mostly just stay on the main running screen, which has more than enough information.

After your run, the watch will display any achievements gained, such as longest run, fastest 5k or 10k, and stuff like that. You can also view your laps, average pace throughout the run, and where your VO2 max is. On the app, you can view your cadence, stride length, average heart rate, and information on elevation.

The biking option is basically the same as the running option and also works just as well.

All in all, it is a GPS watch I would recommend. The watch is very easy to use. It tracks very accurately and gives you a lot more information than you can get on any phone's app. And it beats having to carry your phone during runs.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Iowa November Race Calendar

Iowa December Race Calendar

September Iowa Race Calendar